The 'Why?'

To find out what this journey is about, start with the beginning, the 'Intro' post.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Lessons Learned in a Garage

This was when I was a kid.

My dad used our 2 car garage as his shop, more or less.  He was always working on something in there..   cars, the van we drove everywhere, motorcycles, our many bicycles, the mini bikes and go cart he built, boat motors...  you get the idea. 

I hung out there all the time, was his little shop rat.  I actually was able to pick up some things as a kid, and could name some pieces of a motor fairly accurately, even if I didn't understand how they actually worked.  It was all very fascinating!!

It was a weekend night and my Uncle Ronnie was over hanging out with my dad, they were working on motorcycles at the time.  They had the motor running and was tinkering and such.  I was very young, say 5-ish at the time.  I thought those mufflers on the motorcycle were so pretty, I wanted to touch them.   Yeah..    omg pain!!!    Burnt both hands, palm down on hot mufflers will do that. 

One of the first things we did?   Put butter on them.   The coolness of the butter felt good at first, but gees!!!  It really didn't help.   Later on in life I found out that is actually one of the bad things to do to a burn.  Meh, I lived and there was no permanent damage.

Lesson learned:  Shit gets hot on running motors.  ;)

No comments: