The 'Why?'

To find out what this journey is about, start with the beginning, the 'Intro' post.

Friday, March 13, 2015

Myself Explains... Myself

Being an introvert in an extroverted world has it's challenges.  Seems the world is geared more for extroverted types.  I happen to not be the extroverted type.  Let me explain some things about my introverted self, I'll include some pictures if it helps. :)

The fake smile can only be worn for so long, and when it's wearing thin, it's time to hibernate.

  And that's okay!
 
 
I ignore texts, I let the phone ring.  It's nothing personal, but some people need to realize that sometimes I don't feel like talking.  Calling for a reason and getting to the point is one thing, but idle chit chat is kinda torture for me.  Texting is way better.  One of the best inventions ever!  Right up there with Netflix and online ordering.  :)
 

"Why are you so quiet??".   Ugh!  I've heard this my whole life.  Want to know why I am so quiet??   I usually listen and take things in, and unlike a lot of people, I really think out what I want to say.   Then I have to wait around for other people to finally shut up and then?  ....

 
Severe pet peeve of mine!!  It takes a lot for me to actually say something around people, please don't interrupt.
 

Being around people drains me.  Imagine a glass of water.  When it is full and I am around people, my glass starts to empty.  When it's empty I need to refill it.  If I am unable to fill it I get grouchy.  The way I refill my glass is by being alone.  It does not mean I hate everyone.  It does not mean I was not having fun.  It means I have to be by myself to recharge my batteries, to fill my glass back up.  Extroverted people get their glass filled by being around other people, their glass drains being alone.  Each type should be allowed to recharge in their own way without being made to feel inferior.  If a person makes you feel inferior over how you recharge, maybe limit your exposure to those judgemental types.



Introverts experience things different than extroverts.  Introverts like to experience and enjoy things in their way, they process the experience internally.  Extroverts want everyone to enjoy the experience, a group, a ton of people, everyone must experience their experience.  Neither way is wrong.  Again, respect each others differences. 

Seriously, if you want to torture me, stick me in a car with a lot of people for a week long trip filled with 24/7 people time and no alone time, and you will get someone at the end of the week who has ripped everyone's heads off, burned the bodies, put the heads on a stake and growls at anyone that comes near them.  It'd be like nine kinds of hell, for me.  I. don't. do. group. vacations. or. events.   End of story.  Other people like them, and that is okay, I am just not one.  Not everyone has to think the same.



Please, let me drive my own wheels!  Preferably alone.  And don't make a huge issue about it for pete's sake!  I don't give two shits about gas, I give two shits about my sanity, okay?  There are many reasons why I like driving my own car.  1) I really don't like your driving.  2) I don't want to hear you bitch about my driving.  3) I may need to escape before I kill someone and don't want to wait for a ride.  4) I like my own kind of music, I can't stand yours, and I want to sing as badly and as loudly as I want to.  And no, I don't want to hear your singing.  5) Silence can also be golden.  I don't want to have to keep up small talk, I HATE small talk.  It's draining.  6) I can be on my own schedule.    So there, you go, reasons why I like driving my own wheels.  It does not mean I dislike anyone.  I just like 'me' more.  ;)

Introverts also get labeled as anti-social, snobbish, or depressed.  We're not.  We basically just have no patience for bull shit.  Sometimes I won't have an expression because I am listening and processing and thinking, that's all.  It does not mean I am judging what you are saying, I am just thinking.  I don't like crowds, but that doesn't mean I am anti-social, I really just don't tolerate stupid sometimes.  Small talk, gossiping, drama, fake people, small minded banality, ugh...    Maybe I should carry these around in case of emergency, haha..



But bring up a subject I find interesting and I won't shut up! haha  :)  Unless that means you are one of those types of people that make you have to look at them while you talk.  I have no idea why, but I really dislike looking at someone while I talk, lol.  It makes me downright uncomfortable.  Maybe that's my own little quirkiness, haha.

~~“Quiet people have the loudest minds.” Stephen Hawking   Love that!!  
 
Here are some other quotes that I love:
~~“Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.” ~ Plato
~~“Better to keep quiet and let people think you’re an idiot than speak up and confirm it.” ~ Rodney Dangerfield
~~“I restore myself when I’m alone.” Marilyn Monroe
~~"E-mail is far more convenient than the telephone. As far as I’m concerned, I would throw my phone away if I could get away with it.” ~ Tom Hanks
~~“I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.” ~ Henry David Thoreau
~~“I don’t hate people, I just feel better when they aren’t around.” ~Charles Bukowski
~~“Sometimes quiet people really do have a lot to say … they’re just being careful about who they open up to.” Susan Gale
~~“A bore is someone who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company.” ~ Oscar Wilde
“Never fail to know that if you are doing all the talking you are boring somebody.” ~Helen Gurley Brown
~~“I have to be alone very often. I’d be quite happy if I spent from Saturday night until Monday morning alone in my apartment. That’s how I refuel.” ~ Audrey Hepburn



So if I appear shy and quiet, this is just my nature.  I've always been this way.  I will probably always be this way.  And ya know what?  That is fine and dandy with me! :)  I've always been the quiet one, the one that can amuse herself and didn't have to have someone else for entertainment.  I don't need to be fixed, either.  And I've been called weird my whole damn life, but know what?  Who gives a shit?   :D  I don't really need constant acceptance, thanks :D






2 comments:

rafca said...

I am the same way and I use to think I was wired but now I am comfortable with myself. Its good to know that I am not alone. Lol

Pamela B. said...

You are definitely not alone!! :D